Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

First Two Days






Here are a few pictures of what I did today. The first one is bathroom, and then my room, and then me messing around with the giant man on the wall.

Well, these first two days have not exactly been easy, but they did go by very quickly. I left the house at 6:30 am yesterday and arrived at 10:15 am this morning. It is all one big blur in my mind. I spent twelve hours on a plane, and it really wasn't too bad. The only thing was I got this 24 hour stomach flu (at least I hope it is twenty four hours) on the second flight and that sucked. I took Nyquil but I could not really sleep on the plane so I was just drugged out, could not see a thing and somehow managed to play a game of Bejewled on my ipod to get the best score I have ever had. Maybe that is why it is a blur. :) But, once I got off the plane, the 40 degree weather felt really good on my fever! My trepidations about freezing are not quite as bad as they were before. But it has only been a day, so we will see.

So, my first day in Spain was not quite ideal. As any of us travelers know, our high expecations for the first day never quite can be reached. I landed at the airport, tried to get in a taxi to get to my hotel, but he told me there was a shuttle and then he kicked me out. So, I went and waited for the shuttle for twenty minutes before I went and got into another taxi. That taxi ripped me off for a five to ten minute cab ride. But, it is a good thing because now I know how to avoid that.

I also know now that I am certifiably insane for doing this. First of all, there is so much Spanish-everywhere! I mean, yes, hello stupid me, what did you think it was going to be? But, not having a Spanish class for three years and a subsequent full on immersion is quite overwhelming! Today is proof that nothing is ever quite what you imagine it to be. Instead of going to the Royal Palace and finding my chocolateria, I spent the day in bed, fighting nausea and this fever so that I can go explore with a few of my fellow students before we meet the entire group at 2pm. I watched a little Spanish television, and then I tried to figure out the shower. The shower head was attached to the side of the wall, and there is only one panel of glass so I had to be careful where I sprayed water after I spent five minutes trying to figure out how to turn it on. It has truly been a crazy day, one of many to come I am sure.

Oh, and one last thing. My hotel room has a giant face of David I think on the wall. So, sorry Cory I am spending the night in a room with a man. But don't worry, you're still my man.

I love you all and I miss you terribly.
Let me just quote something from e.e. cummings because I think her poem sums up what I am feeling. Here is her poem "I Carry Your Heart With Me":




i carry your heart with me

















i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

ee cummings

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry that your first day was miserable, but it can only get better. And as about that David, I'm not too worried about it. Let's face it (no pun intended), he's just a head. I like to think of him watching out for you for me. Sure this day was a little set back, but you're going to have the best time ever there and before you know it, you may not want to leave (but please do, we miss you down here). I am trying my best to keep in contact with you and it's a little bit more difficult that I had intended, but I will get the hang of it. I love you and I miss you deeply! Now get over your flu and begin to have some fun in Spain. You're in Spain! How can you not? Anyway, good luck and again I love you and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And I really liked the poem. You're never far because you are always with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justine,
    You have to check out Lauren's video posted on facebook about her passport fiasco. I LOVE this girl and I've never even met her. Denise just left and will be following your adventures on the blog too.We had a great visit. She said to give you her love. Giovani is amazing. I'm not sure which one of them was more entertaining. She can't wait to hook up with you in Switzerland. She left me train info for that leg of your trip so I'll send you those details later. Love you sweetie and hope you wake up feeling better with whole new day ahead of you! Let the adventures begin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Justine,

    I hope you start feeling better! I really miss you! I still have that stuffed animal that you gave me at Red Robin. I keep that close to my heart in remembrance of you while you're gone. You are so funny about the man on the wall. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time in Spain. You are awesome and I LOVE YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!!!
    <3 Your favorite cousin, Emily <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justine! :) Happy new year! I'm so glad that I can keep track of your adventures (and taxi mishaps, haha) in Spain through this blog! Wow, 12 hours is a long flight- about the same amount of time that it takes to get to China, actually. I'm sorry to hear that you were sick during your flight over! But can I just say, your room looks amazing and comfortable! Seems like a great place to stay for a few months! I look forward to your upcoming posts! :) -- Annie

    ReplyDelete